- Grade 12 or equivalent education.
- PNG tickets 1, 2, 3 and 4 (CSA Standard Z662).
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s Licence and abstract.
- Basic pipefitter’s skills.
- Effective in both oral and written forms of communication.
- Demonstrated safe work habits and adherence to safety regulations and practices on a sustained basis.
- Successful completion of the Area Manager I exam.
- High School diploma or equivalent including Grade 11 Math.
- Completion of a minimum of thirty (30) hours management or supervisory courses from a recognized institution within twelve (12) months of commencing role. Appropriate courses will be determined by the Company.
- Must be a holder of a valid Provincial Class “B” Gas Fitters Licence with Electrical Endorsement.
- Demonstrated leadership ability in the following areas:
- Having a clear understanding of the all Company SPI’s and Policies.
- Motivates self and co-workers to contribute to achieving department and corporate objectives.
- Is accountable for actions of department.
- Is proactive in finding solutions to problems.
- Demonstrates efficiencies through planning of work activities.
- Achieves performance objectives through process improvement, removing inefficiencies and establishing high standards.
- Proven Ability to:
- Communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Plan and organize the work of others.
- Maintain and control an inventory of materials normally associated with ongoing operations of a distribution system.
- Have the necessary expertise to operate the relevant Company computer system and a good working knowledge of Company software.
- Ensure tools and equipment are maintained based on manufacturers suggested schedules and Company policies.
- Provide leadership and direction to the workforce that promotes safety and participation in safety programs.
- Apply various techniques to measure and report productivity.
- Apply basic accounting principles as they relate to cost control.
- Must have a minimum of three (3) years of relative experience in a natural gas utility.
- Demonstrated thorough knowledge distribution pipeline systems and associated appurtenances.
- Demonstrated thorough experience and knowledge of the criteria used to triage distribution emergencies.
- Knowledge of the applicable relevant codes and ability to research and understand regulations such as: Z662, B149, WCB, WHMIS, and TDG.
- Perform the duties and responsibilities of an Area Manager II.
- Shall provide technical direction, lead and oversee the work of employees and contractors engaged in the installation and maintenance of the distribution systems to ensure the work is carried out safely, efficiently and expeditiously.
- Complete all necessary reports and forms associated with work carried out, such as field reports, work orders, “as constructed” field sketches, statement of charges, etc.
- Develop department budgets for supervisory approval and be responsible for meeting annual departmental budgetary goals.
- Shall use tools and be responsible for the safe keeping and proper handling of instruments, equipment and tools assigned to subordinates and monitor and maintain the immediate use status of emergency equipment.
- Shall take the initiative in providing specific training to subordinate employees in the operation and maintenance of distribution systems and in the use of equipment, tools and instruments, and Company SPI’s and Policies, and assess where individual needs require additional training and make recommendations to the applicable manager or supervisor for further training as required.
- Represent the Company with respect to the activities under his/her direction in dealing with customers, agents, plan engineers, municipal, fire and police officials and other utility bodies.
- Organize, plan and schedule construction projects, operations work and annual maintenance activities, and ensure that sufficient manpower is available at all times to perform the scheduled work.
- Assists in the initiation and conducting of probationary and progression performance reviews.