Case Managed Apprentices
Case Managed Apprentices are individuals who are involved in active case management through a WorkBC office. Such clients have had their employment needs assessed and it has been determined that a Foundations trade course is appropriate to help enable the client to achieve successful employment once the program is completed.
Foundation programs standardly run 20 weeks to 10 months in duration depending on the trade. After obtaining this training, individuals are required to find an employer and complete 3rd and 4th year training through the conventional non-case managed method.
Non-Case Managed Apprentices
Non-Case Managed Apprenticeships refer to person that have been working in a particular trade, have an employer sponsor, and are registered with the Industry Training Authority (ITA). The average apprenticeship takes four (4) years to complete. 80% of a Non-Case Management Apprentices time is spent learning skills and gaining experience on the job under the direction of a highly trained journeyperson. The remaining 20% is spent in a classroom setting. Upon completion of the process, the individual is required to write an exam in order to achieve his/her Journeyman designation.
To be considered for Apprenticeship classroom training, eligible clients must:
- be EI eligible;
- be registered as an Apprentice with the Industry Training Authority (ITA);
- be sponsored as an Apprentice by an Employer, or Union Hiring Hall/Industry Training Organization, or ITA approved ASETS sponsor, or be a pre-existing unemployed ITA Registered Apprentice, with or without a Sponsor;
- be registered to attend classroom training at an ITA designated training provider.
ITA registration number
Social Insurance Number
Direct deposit banking information
Correct start and end dates of your course
- You will need to have or create a Basic BCEID. (If you do not have one, the Apprentice Online Portal will direct you to the BCEID website to create one.)
Register for a Basic BCEID password. It will be required for the duration of your apprenticeship program. Ensure you keep it in a secure location.
After completing the Apprentice Online Portal application, an email with a link to your 16-digit reference code required for EI will be sent within four (4) days. Ensure you keep it in a secure location.
See How-to-Retrieve-your-EI-Reference-Code for more information.
If you haven't received an email with your reference code, please check your junk mail folder as some email providers will see the email as spam.